Friday, August 11, 2017

What happens to THE OFFICE GEEK when they close the office?

Being an office geek comes with a certain level of responsibility. I'm not talking Uncle Ben responsibility… I'm talking about the type of responsibility where your office mates seek you out to get your feedback on the most recent blockbuster movie, epic tv show or Netflix original (that they most likely binge watched over the weekend).  You have to be prepared to share your insight on these pop culture themed forms of entertainment or possibly help them understand why that one movie was so great or why it missed its’ mark and let's not forget the endless debate over how box office performance doesn't always dictate a good movie… I'm talking about the latest X-Men films and Michael Bay’s Transformers.


As a member of middle management for a global financial organization I WAS my office’s geek extraordinaire.  I would often hold impromptu meetings in my cubicle with colleagues discussing how awesome that new superhero movie was. Or field random IM’s about the new trailer for that one movie. I've sat through multiple morning team meetings where the first 15 minutes was spent discussing the newest MARVEL movie and explaining what and Infinity Stone is and who that purple guy was during the post credits. I was the only one to turn down the office X-Mas party because the latest Star Wars film was debuting in theaters that same night. That’s me… The Office Geek… or at least it was.


In early 2017 it was announced that they were officially closing my local office. This announcement was preceded by years of downsizing and countless rumors about our fate. I was fortunate to maintain my employment with one catch; I’d be transitioning to a Work From Home position. Despite the flexibility and freedom that comes with the W4H role I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about one thing.

What happens to THE OFFICE GEEK when they close the office?

Which brings me to the purpose of this blog. I still have random IM conversations about that one movie that came out last week and my daily team meeting sometimes kicks off with a discussion about the next Star Wars film and how incredible that Wonder Woman film was. But, it's not the same. So this will be my Geek themed outlet to express my thoughts and ideas about Geek culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rating the MCU - Phase 1

How do you rate the MCU?  Being the resident Office Geek I'm often asked, "What's your favorite MCU movie?" or... "Wh...